For more than four decades, Jones Walker has helped organizations and individuals acquire, develop, finance and build a broad range of affordable housing; workforce, senior, student and military housing; and mixed use projects involving new market credits across the country. In this complex environment, we are able to offer clients the deep industry knowledge, full-spectrum legal counsel, and firsthand government experience required to provide creative, practical solutions.
- Developers, including public, private, nonprofit and for-profit companies, state and local housing authorities and other public bodies, educational institutions, management agents, property owners, design professionals, contractors, and consultants
- Lenders, including national, state, local and community banks, mortgage and investment bankers, letter of credit providers, state and local housing finance agencies, and underwriters
- Investors, including financiers and equity syndicators, Low Income Housing Tax Credit investors, public-private partnerships, asset managers, and real estate investment trusts.
Our housing lawyers are regularly recognized as top practitioners in the United States by leading industry and legal publications such as Chambers USA and The Best Lawyers in America, and many have received top peer review ratings in Martindale-Hubbell.
Our experience in real estate, project finance and development, banking, public finance and securities, loan syndications, tax, zoning, entitlement and land use, green building, environmental regulation, commercial litigation, bankruptcy, and energy complements our housing practice. Our energy team is at the forefront of green construction and building retrofits, and several of our lawyers hold the LEED AP designation.
Our project and finance lawyers provide pragmatic, leading-edge advice on even the most complex transactions, including the following:
- Loan acquisitions/assumptions
- Development and construction
- Tax-exempt bond financing
- Acquisition, construction, bridge loans and permanent loans
- 501(c)(3) transactions
- Real estate and environmental due diligence
- Title insurance
- Property tax abatement
- Capital grant and gap financing programs
- Community development loans
- Project and loan defaults and workouts
- Entitlements, land use and zoning
- Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac loans and guarantees
- FHA-insured loans/GNMA
- HOPE VI programs
- HUD/CDGB programs
- Mixed-use projects-New Market Tax Credits
- Historic tax credits
- Loan portfolio sales and acquisitions
- Section 8 contractors and vouchers
- Pilot programs and other property tax incentives
- Section 42 Low Income Tax Credits (90% and 4% credit)
- Partnerships and joint ventures
We also assist clients in identifying local counsel, consultants, community representatives, tenant groups, advocacy groups, and media outlets to address the concerns of these important constituencies, and with establishing clear lines of communication we ensure that the clients’ stories are told and understood by all interested parties.